DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1836
Transcription by Mike Strange
©

DERSINGHAM is a large well-built village, on the Hunstanton road 8½ miles N.N.E. of' Lynn, sheltered on the north by rising and well cultivated fields and bounded on the south by a sandy heath and rabbit warren of 1,900 acres, of which 1,500a. are in Woolverton, and the rest in Sandringham, West Newton, and Dersingham. This parish contains 606 inhabitants and 2,700 acres of land, extending nearly two miles westward to Lynn Deeps, and three miles eastward to Ling House. At the inclosure, in 1779, 160 acres were allotted in lieu of the vicarial tithes, and 457 acres were enclosed within a ring fence for the use of the parish, viz:- 329A. of marsh a stinted common, and 128 acres of heath for providing whins and turf. John Bellamy, Esq., Lord Cholmondeley own a great part of the soil and the lords of the manors of West Hall, Packenham, Gelham, Shouldham Priory and Brook, for which J. L. Jarvis, Esq. Of Lynn, is steward. The copyholds are subject to small fines, and the quit rents amount to £10 14s. 8½d. Lord Cholmondeley is lessee of the rectorial tithes under the Bishop of Norwich. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a square tower and six bells. The vicarage, valued in K. B. at £5 6s. 8d is enjoyed by the Rev. Robt. Collyer, and the advowson is in dispute between R.F.G. Dalton and J. Bellamy Esqrs. The poor have £22 a year from about 12 acres of land, bequeathed by Nicholas Grounds, Mr. Godfrey and Geoffrey Bumer, and from land at Snettisham, purchased with .£100 left by Elizabeth Pell, in 1732 A donation of £5 per annum left by Margaret Hodson, in 1743 out of land  at Cranworth for repairing her monument, and relieving the poor, is lost under the Mortmain  act.

Archer, Richard butcher
Balding Robert glover
Bellamy George assistant overseer
Brett Rev. John curate (& rector of Wolverton)
Brown James schoolmaster
Davy Miss Lucy
Frost Robert blacksmith
Lines John, parish clerk
Patrick John gardener
Petchey Benjamin wheelwright
Sheldrake Fras. [Francis?]. shoemaker
Sherwood Robert corn miller
Skelton George Wild Fowl Decoy
Skinnner Robert joiner & shopkeeper
Smith Fras. [Francis?] shoemaker
Terrington John grocer and draper
Twaites William baker
West Robert victualler & farmer, Dun Cow
Wells John manager, Dun Cow

FARMERS (* are yeomen)
* Chadwick George (& maltster)
Chapman John
Claxton Robert
Gay Abraham
Petchey Mrs
Riches John (& rabbit dealer)
Rix Henry
Scott Thomas
Spanton [sic] R. sen, Hill House
* Stanton Richard. Church-farm
Stanton Richard & William, Ling House


Mail gig to Heacham at 11 morning and to Lynn at 2 afternoon
Carrier, John Atkins to Lynn Tues & Sat 9 morning