DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1845
Transcription by Mike Strange
©

DERSINGHAM is a large well-built village, on the Hunstanton road 8½ miles N.N.E. of' Lynn, sheltered on the north by rising and well cultivated fields and bounded on the south by a sandy heath and rabbit warren of 1,900 acres, of which 1,500a. are in Wolverton, and the rest in Sandringham, West Newton, and Dersingham. This parish contains 676 inhabitants and 2,951 acres of land, extending nearly two miles westward to Lynn Deeps, and three miles eastward to Ling House. At the inclosure, in 1779, 160 acres were allotted in lieu of the vicarial tithes, and 457 acres were enclosed within a ring fence for the use of the parish, viz:- 329A. of marsh as a stinted common, and 128 acres of heath for providing whins and turf. John Bellamy, Esq., Lord Cholmondeley own a great part of the soil and the lords of the manors of West Hall, Pakenham, Gelham, Shouldham Priory and Brook, for which J. L. Jarvis, Esq. Of Lynn, is steward. The copyholds are subject to small fines, and the quit rents amount to £10 14s. 8½d. Lord Cholmondeley is lessee of the rectorial tithes under the Bishop of Norwich. The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) is a large building with a square tower and six bells. The vicarage, valued in K. B. at £5 6s. 8d. The Rev. Edw. Bellamy,B.D. Is incumbent and John Bellamy Esq of Wisbech, is the patron. The poor parishioners have the following yearly doles, viz:- £5 from 2A 8P of land in Snettisham left by Geoffrey Bumer in 1689; 10s left by Nicholas Ground out of half an acre;  11s from 1A 7P left by an unknown donor and £17, as the rent of 8A 2R 36P allotted at the inclosure, in lieu of purchased with .£100 left by Elizabeth Pell, in 1730. On the latter 16 pennyworth of bread is distributed every Sunday and the residue is disposed of in coals.

Balding Robert glover
Bellamy Rev Edward, B.E., vicar
Bellamy George assistant overseer
Brown James schoolmaster
Bunn Isaac, post man, letters received 8½ morning and 6 evening
Bussey William, gamekeeper
Davy Miss Lucy & Bett Mrs Mary
Davis Abraham carrier to Lynn Tuesday and Saturday
Fitt James, corn miller
Flegg John, wheelright
Frost John and James, blacksmiths
Gay Abraham, vict. The Cock
Hotchin William, butcher
Leach Rev. William, M.A. Incumbent of Flitcham &c
Lines John, parish clerk
Patrick John gardener
Petchey Lydia, vict. Coach and Horses
Pickerill Thomas, carpenter
Reynolds Charles, shopkeeper
Rungay Charles, tailor
Skelton George, Wild Fowl Decoy
Skinnner Robert joiner & shopkeeper
Stanton Richard, sen, gentelman
Terrington John, shopkeeper
Twaites Samuel, baker & flour dealer
Warnes. John, gardener
Waters John, vict Dun Cow

FARMERS
Chadwick George
Chapman John
Claxton Robert
Fox Robert, Hill House
Freeman Joshua (and maltseter)
Hunt Robert (to J. Platten)
Riches John (and rabbit dealer)
Rix James
Scott Thomas
Stanton Richard & William, Ling House
Smith John

SHOE MAKERS
Gamble John
Scott Edward
Sheldrake Francis
Watson Robert