DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854
Transcription by Mike Strange
©

DERSINGHAM, 8½ miles N.N.E. of' Lynn, is a pleasant and well-built village, sheltered on the north by rising ground, and bounded on the south by a sandy heath and rabbit warren of 1,900 acres, of which 1,500a. are in Wolverton, and the rest in Sandringham, West Newton, and Dersingham. The parish contains 165 houses, 812 souls, and, 2.951 acres of land, mostly belonging to John Bellamy, Esq., the Hon. Spencer Cowper, and the Marquis of Cholmondeley, the latter of whom has planted a great part of the heath with Scotch fir. At the enclosure, in 1779, 160 acres were allotted in lieu of vicarial tithes, and 457 acres were enclosed within a ring fence for the use of the parish, viz:- 329a. of marsh a stinted common, and 128a. of heath for providing whins and turf. Here are the manors of Gelham. Packenham, West Hall, Shouldham Priory and Brook, for which J. L. Jarvis, Esq., is steward to J. Bellamy, Esq., and the Marquis of Cholmondeley, the owners. The copyholds are subject to small fines, and the quit rents amount to £10 14s. 8½d. The Hon. S. Cowper is lessee of the rectorial tithes under the Bishop of Norwich. The Church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a square tower and six bells. The vicarage. valued in the King's book at £5 6s. 8d. and in 1831 at £155, is in the gift of J. Bellamy, Esq., and enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Bellamy, B.D. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The poor have £5 yearly from 2a. 8p. of land left by Jeffrey Bummer, in 1689; 10s. out of half an acre left by Nicholas Ground; £2 10s. from 1a. 7p. left by an unknown donor; and £27 as the rent of 8a. 2r. 36p. allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of land purchased with .£100 left by Elizabeth. Pell, in 1730. Post Office at Isaac Bunn's: letters arrive at 7 a.m., and are dispatched at 6.15 p.m.

Balding John coal merchant
Brett Edward, Esq
Brett Mrs. Mary Ann
Bussey Misses, dress makers
Chambers William. bricklayer
Cunningham John sand merchant
Daniel John fisherman
Fitt Matthew, corn miller
Frost John & James blacksmiths
Green Thomas fisherman
Grief Thomas tailor, & assistant. overseer
Ladell Mrs. Martha
Lines John, parish clerk
Mann George shepherd
Patrick John gardener
Roberts Rev. curate of Wolverton
Skelton George wild fowl decoy
Smith William jobber

Inns and Taverns
Coach and Horses, William Hotchin
Cock, Archibald Petrie
Dun Cow, John Waters

Bakers
Fitt Matthew
Twaites Samuel

Butchers
Adderson James
Hotchin William

Carpenters
Jackson James
Pickerill Thomas

Farmers
Balding Thomas
Boothby Emanuel
Chadwick George
Chapman John
Fenton Robert
Freeman Joshua
March William
Petrie Archibald
Riches John
Spanton My [Mary?]
Stanton Richard.
Townshend John
Waters John

Grocers & Drapers
Lines Philip
Terrington John
Twaites Samuel

Shopkeepers
Reynold Charles
Terrington Henry

Shoemakers
Gamble John
Ransom Thomas.
Terrington Henry
Watson Robert

Wheelwrights
Flegg John
Flegg Robert

Carrier
David Abraham to Lynn,Tuesday.& Saturday