DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
1864 White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Norfolk
Transcription by Mike Strange ©
DERSINGHAM is a large well-built village on the Hunstanton road, 8½ miles N.N.E. of Lynn, sheltered on the north by rising and well-cultivated fields, and bounded on the south by a sandy heath and rabbit warren, of 1,900 acres of land, of which 1,500 acres are in Wolferton, and the rest in Sandringham, West Newton, and Dersingham. The parish contains 822 inhabitants and 3,472 acres of land, extending two miles westward to Lynn Deeps, and three miles eastward to Ling House. At the inclosure of 1779, 160 acres were allotted in lieu of the vicarial tithes, and 457 acres were enclosed within a ring fence for the use of the parish, viz., 329 acres of marsh as a stinted common, and 128 acres of heath for providing whins and turf. John Bellamy, Esq., Lord Cholmondeley own a great part of the soil and the lords of the manors of West Hall, Pakenham, Gelham, Shouldham Priory and Brook. The copyholds are subject to small fines, and the quit rents amount to £10 14s. 8½d. The Hon C.S. Cowper is lessee of the rectorial tithes under the Bishop of Norwich. The Church (St Nicholas) is a large edifice, comprising nave with aisles  and clerestory, chancel, south porch and lofty square tower with six bells. The chancel is of the decorated, and the rest of the building of the perpendicular period but the whole is in a somewhat delapidated state and needs judicious restoration. The sanctus bell-cot still remains in the east gable of the nave and there is a priest's door and also a low window on the south side of  the chancel. The nave consists of six bays, with panelled pillars and finely moulded arches . The tower is lofty, and the west window is of five lights with embattled transom. There are some old poppy-headed benches in the nave, and in the windows  of the north aisle are some fragments of ancient stained glass, containing figures of angels, &c. Part of the old rood-screen remains, with painted figures of saints, much defaced, on its panels; and a small portion of the sedilia is visible in the chancel, the remainder being hidden by plaster. At the east end of the south aisle is a fine altar tomb having a black marble slab at the top, with incised figures of John Pell (ob. 1607), mayor of Lynn, and his wife, and on the sides are representations of their six sons and three daughters. There are also many slabs of the Pell family, and mural tablets of the Postlethwaite, Hodson, and Kerrich families. The vicarage was valued in K.B. At £5 6s 8d and is now worth £155. The Rev. Edw. Bellamy, B.D. Of Ingoldisthorpe is incumbent  and the Marquis Cholmondeley patron. The poor parishioners have the following yearly doles, viz:- £5 from 2A 8P of land in Snettisham left by Geoffrey Bummer in 1689; 10s left by Nicholas Ground out of half an acre;  25s from 1A 7P left by an unknown donor ; 10s out of land occupied by Mr Waters and £33, as the rent of 8A 2R 36P allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of purchased with .£100 left by Elizabeth Pell, in 1730. Of the latter 16 pennyworth of bread is distributed every Sunday and the residue is disposed of in coals. Here is a station on the Lynn and Hunstanton Railway. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels in the village and the parish school is attended by about 45 children

POST OFFICE at J.L.Adcock's. Letters are despatched , via  Lynn, at 5.40pm.  Money Orders are granted and paid here.

Adcock John Lewis, tailor
Balding Robert, cattledealer
Balding Thomas.farmer& cattledealer
Brett Edward,
Bussey Maria, dressmaker
Chambers William, bricklayer
Coe Mr Christopher James
Daniel John, general dealer
Fitt Matthew baker and corn miller
Foster John, hurdle maker
Frost John and James, blacksmiths
Legg Thomas, coal dealer &c
Mitchell Henry, hurdle maker
Patrick John, gardener
Reynolds Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Rix Mr Thomas, Hill House
Vince Emily, schoolmistress
Waters William, butcher

INNS AND TAVERNS
Coach & Horses, Thomas Taylor
Cock , Archibald Petrie
Dunn Cow, Ann Waters
White Horse, William Smith

BAKERS
Fitt Matthew
Softley Stephen

CARPENTERS
Foster James
Jackson James

FARMERS
Balding Thomas (& cattle dealer)
Boothby Emmanuel
Chadwick George
Bussey Matilda
Farrin Robert
Freeman Joshua
Jackson James
Mann George
March William
Petrie Archibald
Riches John
Stanton Rd (exrs.)
Waters Ann

GROCERS AND DRAPERS
Beckett Enoch
Parker John Wm.

SHOEMAKERS
Gamble John
Terrington Henry
Watson Robert

WHEELWRIGHTS
Flegg Joseph
Flegg Martin

CARRIERS: Abraham Davis to Lynn Tues. and Sat.