DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
Kelly's Directory 1874
Transcription by Mike Strange ©

DERSINGHAM is a village and parish, with station on the Lynn and Hunstanton Railway, 8½ miles north-north-east from Lynn and 107 from London, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the Lynn and Hunstanton road. The railway station is situated about three quarters of a mile from the village. The church of St. Nicholas is a large ancient structure, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel which contains some fine Decorated windows and sedilia much mutilated, nave (with clerestory), aisles, south porch, and square embattled tower containing 6 bells: in the south aisle is a curious alter-tomb in memory of the Pell family, date 1607; there are some brasses, and several ancient and curious marble slabs, and an ancient font ; the church, which is much dilapidated is about to be restored. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about £380, in the gift of the Rev· J. Bellamy D.D., President of St John's College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. Edward William Penny, M.A..  Of St John's College, Oxford. At the enclosure of the common, 72 acres of land were reserved for the benefit of the poor. There is a charity of about £21 annual value, arising from nine acres of land, left by three different donors, and £5 from land at Snettisham, left by :Mrs. Pell in 1732; these amounts are expended in coals, which are distributed to the poor of the parish. The Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Old Hall is a large plain building of carr stone and stuccoed, standing in the centre of the village, the residence of John B. Goggs, esq. Here are five manors, of which H. R. H. The Prince of Wales and the Rev. J. Bellamy are lords, and they and John B. Goggs are the principal landowners. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, principally chalk and carstone. The crops are generally on the four-course system. The area is 3,472 acres, rateable value £4,855 2s; and the population in 1871 was 901.
Parish Clerk, Benjamin Lines.

POST & MONEY ORDER AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank. - Enoch Beckett, postmaster. London & other letters are received through Lynn by mail cart; arrive at 6.50 a.m. & dispatched at 6.25 p.m.
INSURANCE AGENT - Liverpool & London & Globe, E. Taylor
Railway Station, Francis Perry, station master
CARRIERS TO LYNN - Abrabam Davis, tuesday & saturday,  returning same day. There are several other carriers to & from Lynn passing through the village

Bowker Alexander, Hill House
Coe Mr. Christopher James, Rose cottage
Freeman Joshua
Goggs John B., The Hall
Penny Rev. Edward William, M.A. [vicar]
Rix Henry
Stanton Richard, Ling house
Stanton Mr. Robert

COMMERCIAL.
Adcock John Louis, tailor
Asker William, broker
Balding Robert, cattle dealer & farmer
Balding Thomas, cattle dealer
Baldwin George, Alexandra
Beckett Enoch, grocer, draper & post office
Bussey Matilda & Maria (Misses), farmers
Chambers William, bricklayer
Daniel Samuel, fisherman
Daniel William, fisherman
Davis Abraham, carrier to Lynn
Daw Robert, gardener
Dye Charles, beer retailer
Fitt Matthew, farmer, baker & corn miller, Dersingham mill
Flegg Martin, wheelwright
Flegg William, broker
Forster James, carpenter
Forster James Joseph, carpenter & joiner
Freeman Joshua, farmer
Gamble George, coal merchant
Gamble John, shoe maker
Green Thomas, fisherman
Jackson James, farmer
Jarvis James William, baker
Lines Miles, farm baliff to Joshua Freeman, esq
Mann George, farmer
Mitchell Edward, wood hurdle maker
Mitchell Henry, wood hurdle maker
Parker John William, draper & grocer
Reynolds Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper
Riches James, wheelwright
Riches John, farmer
Rix Henry, farmer, Malthouse farm
Sainty Christopher, blacksmith &c; & at Docking
Senter Francis Sheldrick, market gardener
Smith James, market gardener
Smith John, Dun Cow & farmer
Smith William, White Horse, & pig dealer
Stanton Richard & Robert, farmers, Ling house
Steel George, butcher
Taylor Enoch, Cock Inn
Taylor Thomas, Coach & Horses
Terrington Frederick, butcher
Terrington Henry, shoe maker
Terrington John, boot maker