DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
1904 Directory of Dersingham (Kellys - Norfolk)
Transcription by Mike Strange ©
DERSINGHAM is a village and parish on the Lynn and Hunstanton road, half a mile from the station on the Lynn and Hunstanton section of the Great Eastern railway, 8½ miles north-north-east from Lynn and 107 from London, in the North Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and petty sessional division, Docking union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn (Norfolk), archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas is a large and ancient structure of flint and stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave with  clerestory ; aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with four carved angels in place of pinnacles, and containing 6 bells : the chancel is lighted by fine windows of the Decorated period, and is divided from the nave by an ancient carved oak screen, with twelve panels, six of which display painted figures, and some of the tracery has been restored : in the south aisle is a piscina and a curious altar-tomb to John Pell esq. and Margaret (Overend) his wife, ob. 5 Feb. 1607, with two effigies in marble : there are also several curious marble slabs and other memorials, mostly to the Pell and Kerrich families, including a brass in the north aisle to one of the former, dated 1636 : and memorials to Mrs. Elizabeth Pell, lady of Bosters [sic Booters] Hall manor, Cranworth, d.1732: to the Rev. Thomas Kerrich, vicar of this parish, d. 1828, and Sophia, his wife, d.1835; the oaken church chest is very finely carved and the ancient font has a carved oak cover: the church was thoroughly restored between 1877 and 1879 at a cost of nearly £6,000; the cost of the restoration of the nave being defrayed by the patron. Dr. Bellamy, and that of the chapel by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and by a sum of £600 raised by subscription: the building was entirely reseated with open pews of wainscot, and a new pulpit and brass lectern erected, and now affords 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1710. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £160, and now includes 22 acres of glebe, 141 acres of glebe, some lands having been sold since 1900, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. James Bellamy D.D. president of St. John's College, Oxford, and held since 1901 by the Rev. John Warren Corbould-Warren M.A. of Downing College, Cambridge. The vicarage house, erected in 1877, is of carr stone and red brick, and stands on a pleasant elevation. Here are two Wesleyan chapels, built respectively in 1851 and 1891, and a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1878. The Foresters' hall (court Motteux, No. 1465), erected on a site given by His Majesty the King, in 1893, and opened by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales K.G. Dec. 11th, 1893, is a building of carr stone with Bath stone dressings; it is also used for entertainments &c.: a court is held monthly. At the inclosure of the common 75 acres of land were reserved for the benefit of the poor. There is a charity of about £21 annual value, arising from nine acres of land left by Mrs. Pell, and £5 from land at Snettisham, left by a Mr. Bummer in 1732; these amounts are expended in coals, which are distributed to the poor of the parish. Dersingham Hall, in the centre of the village, is a large and plain building of carr stone, stuccoed, and now the property of Theodor Jannoch esq. The parish comprises five manors, viz. Hunstanton-with-Mustrels, Ringstead-with-Holme, Northall, Holme-next-the-Sea, and Hoods-in-Holme [sic], of which His Majesty the King and the Rev. James Bellamy D.D. are lords and these are also the principal landowners. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, principally chalk and carr stone. The crops are generally on the four-course system. The area is 3,573 acres of land and 8 of water; rateable va1ue, £5,412; the population in 1891 was 1186, and in 1901 was 1,316.

Parish Clerk, James March Batterby.

Post, M. 0. & T. 0., T. M. 0., E. D., S. B. & A. & I. Office. - Miss Alice Maude Beckett, sub-postmistress. London & other letters are received through Lynn by mail cart; arrive at 5.30 a.m.; delivered at 7 a.m. & 10.15 a.m. & are dispatched at 10.45 a.m. & 6.20 p.m.; sunday delivery 7 a.m.; dispatched 6.20 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes - Box near the Feathers hotel, cleared at 8.40 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; sundays, 7·55 a.m.; at the Station, cleared at 9.50 a.m. & 5.35 p.m.; sundays, 8.10 a.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed), enlarged in 1875. H.M. the King gave the site, the cost of the building being defrayed by Dr. Bellamy; in 1891 the building was further enlarged at a cost of £240, defrayed by H.M. the King & the chief landowners; the schools were again enlarged in 1904 for 326 children; average attendance, 220; Alfred Firth, schoolmaster; Miss Mabel Tomlin, infants' mistress
Railway Station, Arthur James Chilvers, station master
Carriers to Lynn - Thomas Rudd & George Mitchell, tues. thurs. & sat. returning same day

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Balding Mrs. Rose cottage
Brown Capt. W. Coronation villa
Bryant Ernest, Sandringham road
Chambers Jabez, Providence house
Cole Robert, The Chestnuts
Copple James, Park view
Corbould-Warren Rev. John Warren M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Davidson William Andrew, Maryville
Diggle Thomas, Mecklenburg House
Dodman Mrs, Rosedale
Firth Alfred, The Shrubbery
Freeman Miss, Blackheath lodge
Harrison Edward, Hill side
Jannoch Theodor, The Hall
La Fontaine James Stephen Edward J.P. Brandenburg house
Langley William W. The Oaks
Parker William Theodoric
McLaren James Whyte, Ellerslie
Rainbow Joseph George, The Retreat
Riches George
Riches George Henry, Summerdale
Smith William Henry, Hill house
Stanton Richard, Ling house
Terrington Douglas, Fern villa
Tingey Edward, Manor house
Wells Miss Rose cottage
Whatoff Miss, Sea Haven
Whitehouse Miss, Oak cottage
Wilkin Robert A. Wellswill house

COMMERCIAL
Alderton Herbert Edward, Alexandra hotel
Bird F. J. (Mrs), butcher
Boothby C. E. (Mrs.), grocer & draper
Bunn James, coal merchant, & agent for R. Coller & Sons
Burnup Benjamin, manager at Her Majesty's Technical Schools, Melrose cottage
Chambers Bros. builders & contractors
Chambers Henry, carpenter
Chambers James Ward William, temperance hotel
Coller R. & Sons, corn & coal merchants (James Bunn, agent); & at Norwich
Cross Arthur Harry A.R.C.O. professor of music, & organist at Sandringham, Cantelupe house
Dodman Susannah (Mrs.), blacksmith
Elworthy Harry Fuller, assistant overseer
Ewer William John music seller & stationer
Fitt Matthew James, baker
Fitt Jessie (Miss), apartments. Oak cottage
Foresters' Hall (Robert G. Walton, sec)
Goodings Harriet (Mrs.), apartments
Green Alfred, coal merchant & butcher
Hartley Frederick William beer retailer
Hudson William, builder & wheelwright
Jackson Albert, cycle repairer
Jackson James, farmer & dairyman, Blackheath lodge
Jannoch Theodor, nurseryman & florist, Lily of the Valley grower
      by special warrant to their Majesties the
      King & Queen Alexandra. See advert
Jarvis Ernest, saddler
Jarvis James William, jun. baker & confectioner
Jarvis James William sen. baker & farmer
Kiddle George White Horse P.H. & farmer
Linford Frederick, house decorator & china &c. dealer
Linnell John, farmer, Wood villa
Magness Thomas Augustus, Dun Cow P.H
Mann Henry, farmer
Mann William Henry, Feathers hotel & jobmaster
Maxey Alfred William grocer & draper
Middleton Thomas Henry, shopkeeper
Mitchell George, carrier
Parker John William & Son, drapers & grocers & boot & shoe warehouse
Playford Herbert baker & miller (wind)
Potter William, smith
Ralph Frederick, usher & photographer Victoria cottage ·
Reynolds & Sons, nurserymen, shopkeepers & coal dealers
Riches Ernest James, boot repairer
Riches George, builder & contractor
Riches John, market gardener
Robinson Edward, chimney sweeper
Rudd Thomas carrier & market gardener
Senter Hannah (Mrs.), milliner
Senter Harry, market gardener
Senter Martin, shopkeeper
Smith Montague & Co. coal merchants
Smith William Henry farmer, Hill House farm
Standaloft Dixon, Coach & Horses hotel; 10 minutes from Sandringham; every accommodation for travellers & cyclists;
         bath hot & cold; wines, spirits, ales, cigars &c of the finest quality; good stabling
Stanton Richard, farmer, Ling house (letters to be addressed, Anmer, Lynn)
Tansley William, butcher
Terrington Frederick, butcher
Terrington Henry, shoe maker
Tingey Edward, farmer, Manor house
Towler Robert, hair dresser
Walden William, builder
Wallis George, cowkeeper
Whitmore Henry, butcher
Yaxley William Henry, agent Prudential Assurance