DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
Dersingham Properties
Their Names, Origins and Locations
Property Name Origin Location
Allotments The allotments in Station Road are administered by the Trustees of Dersingham United  Charities SATELLITE
Chambers Court Several generations of the Chambers family have been builders here in Dersingham and in Snettisham. In the census of 1851 William Chambers, bricklayer,is recorded with his wife Mary, three daughters and one son.  Chambers built the Methodist Chapel in Chapel Road, Forester's Hall in Manor Road, and the Drill Hill in Dodds Hill. The initials G C on the front of the Pottery could also refer to George Chambers although I think they more likely refer to George Chadwick who owned Oak Farm of which the pottery building was part.

On this site was a garage owned by J. Twaite. Later it was known as Sandringham Motors.  Next door in a lovely carrstone building was Jarvis Bakery which when I first came to the village had become a fish and chip shop. This building was so badly damaged by fire that it had to be demolished and The Flag replaced it. The garage had also suffered a fire in 1947 but survived until a few years ago when it was pulled down and replaced by the present flats.
MAP
Church Croft Church Croft occupies part of the site of the Lily Nursery run by Theodore Jannoch from 1901 until his death in 1925.  He transferred the nursery here having first established it in about 1875 in the house opposite Dersingham Hall on the corner of Sugar Lane. SATELLITE

STREET
Church Hall The Church Hall was opened in 1912 to mark the coronation of George V. MAP
'Concrete Path or Road' At the start of World War 11 there was a great need for raw materials and the shingle banks that run along the shore from Dersingham to Snettisham were a valuable resource so the concrete road was built to facilitate the extraction.  After the war extraction was stopped as it was severely weakening the bank and the risk of flooding was a possibility. SATELLITE
Dersingham Fen The part of the Fen that lies opposite the open common and reaches to the by-pass is a village asset that is administered by the Trustees of Dersingham United Charities.  It is rare acid marsh and is therefore an SSSI.  The larger area the other side of the by-pass is administered by Natural England. In the past these areas were known as Cranberry Fen and Badger Fen. SATELLITE
Duck Decoy First constructed here in about 1818 by George Skelton who worked it until his death in 1857.He was succeeded by a man named Sharp who was not successful and the decoy was dismantled in 1870 although still features on maps.  
Elmlands It was a stand of elm trees on Doddshill Road shown on a photograph by RT (to be identified before display) about the centre of the area shown on the satellite link and referenced in a poem by J.E. Hare in Village Voice 100 (June /July 2016), page 23  in which he wrote:
"I remember Doddshill Road
When there were houses very few
An arch of hemlock o'er the road
And lovely it was too
The elm-lands great enchantment - great elms, stream,
Pond, blackberries and footpath gay
We always went to shop that way"
SATELLITE
Emblems An early reference to the area is Emlotts. Much later Emletts Hill Common is on the 1839 Tithe map as the area opposite what is now The Feathers and where the property called The Emblems now stands. So Emlotts > Emletts > Emblems. STREET
Fire Station   STREET
Foresters' Hall This was the meeting place for the Foresters Friendly Society Court Motteux (no.1465). It
opened 11th December 1893; this photograph is thought to have been at the opening.
PHOTO
Garden Cottages Had stood opposite The Dun Cow  
George Pratt Roundabout    
Hanover Court This complex of flats and houses was built on land given to the village by the Sandringham Estate and previously used for allotments.  The flats and houses were built by The Hanover Housing Association in conjunction with The Guiness Trust.  The Housing Association is a British registered social landlord and a not for profit exempt charity registered as an industrial and provident society.  It was founded in 1963 and provides housing and services for people aged 55 and over.   The Guiness Partnership is one of the largest providers of affordable housing and care in England.  It was founded in 1890 by Edward Guiness 1st Earl of Iveagh.  The complex was opened by her Majesty Queen Elizabeth on January 16th 1981  
Hawthorn Cottages See Hawthorn Drive under Roads  
Hurry Home  Drift The drift that runs from Lynn Road at the western end of Manor Road.  
Infant school    
Jannoch's Court Named for Theodore Carl Frederick Jannoch a German national who had married Mary Ann Frost daughter of the local blacksmith and set up his nationally famous Lily Nursery here.  The Pell family built the original house here in about 1671.  It has served as the home for the vicar when there was no vicarage here and many villagers will remember it as The Gamekeeper’s Lodge where you could enjoy a good meal and pint. With added properties it is now apartments and houses,  
Library    
Liddell House Opposite Foresters Hall on Manor Road, the builder's plaque says "G.M., 1877, Liddell House built by George Mitchell and used by him for his business as a carrier then passing to Albert Robert Ding who continued the business. A Ding family member still lives there.  
Ling House Ling House Farm has been farmed by the Stanton family for many generations.  
Methodist Chapel
(Manor Road)
The New Connection Methodist Chapel was built in 1851 and closed in 1913.  It was let to the Territorial Army and then rented to the Norfolk Education Authority before being sold in 1934 to The Feathers' Hotel.  
Methodist Chapel
(Chapel Road)
The Bethel Chapel was built in 1878. In 1962 it closed its doors and united with the Wesleyan Chapel in Post Office Road. STREET
Methodist  Wesleyan Chapel
(Post Office Road)
The Wesleyan Chapel opened in 1890 and in 1962 united with the Bethel Chapel to form one Methodist Church.  
Newhaven Court Built on the site of a former Police House which became The Newhaven Residential Home before being demolished to make way for the flats.  
Open Common See Sandpit Common  
Parish Council Office These premises used to be Ewer's shop, a music seller, stationer and general store where gentlemen could get measured for a suit in the back of the premises.  It was a small grocery store before becoming the Council Office.  
Parker's Corner At the junction of Manor Road and Sandringham Road; Parker was the name of the people who owned the grocery and drapery shop there. Most recently (2016/7) it was 'Fade to Grey'; before that it was 'Hector's Barn'.  
Police Station    
Post Office Enoch Beckett opened the Post Office here in 1890 in what was then known as Middle Road.   After his death in 1899 his daughter Alice Maud took over.  
Railway Station The station opened for the first service from Lynn on October 3rd 1862. The final train ran left Lynn for Hunstanton with 250 passengers at 9.05 on May 3rd 1969.  
Recreation Ground There were few buildings on the seaward side of the village in the 19th century. It was mostly common land.  After the different enclosure acts this area was set aside for the use and recreation of the villagers but it remained much like the open common.  It was administered by the trustees of Dersingham Charities who kept the gorse under control and rented part out as pasture.  In 1919 to 1920 it was decided to transfer the responsibility to the Parish Council.  
Reynolds Nursery Site of Orchard Close  
Social Club This was the Dersingham Working Men's Club which opened in 1912 on land presented to the village by King George V.  Although the Church Institute Hall had also been built at the same time the working men expressed the view that they would not be able to relax and enjoy a pint after a hard day's work on church premises. The present car park covers what used to be a large bowling green.  
St Celia's Church Roman Catholic Church on Mountbatten Road  
St George's Middle School The school was built just before the outbreak of World War 11 and as a consequence it did not open but was requisitioned by the military for the duration of the war.  It finally admitted pupils in 1946.  
St Nicholas Church Anglican Parish Church  
St Nicholas Court Previously a farm but now housing the Medical Centre and various businesses.  
Sand Pit Lodge A large sand quarry used to be worked in the land just behind these cottages.  Apparently tunnels from the quarry used to run under the main road into the woods opposite.  
Shut-up Common and
Open Common
In 1779 the enclosure act set aside 128 acres of heath for providing recreation for the villagers and the collection of whins and turf. Both are administered by the Trustees of Dersingham United Charities.  
Sports Field    
Sunnyside Cottages Built in 1881 on Lynn Road adjacent to Wern Cottages and currently housing the shoe repairer.  
Territorial Army, Army Drill Hall The Times, Monday July 2nd, 1928, it was reported that the King had presented a site for a new drill hall. It is now used by the Norfolk Army Cadet Force, Sandringham Division STREET
The Corner House On Parker's Corner, previously a guest house, a doctor's house and surgery but photograph and 1911 census evidence shows that it may have also been a shop unless the reference in the census is incorrect. It has been renamed 'The Jestices' (2017) MAP
The Drift See 'Hurry Home' Drift above  
The Green Opposite Glebe Road on the corner of Hunstanton Road and Church Road. This area and the housing that surrounds it were once part of a nursery that operated here.  
The Pastures This is a scheduled site in which the moat and other earthworks of Brookhall can clearly be seen.  
The Square On Doddshill Road  
The Warren Recently named by the village this was the site of Gelham Hall Manor. The house was surrounded by a double moat and was the property of the de Gelham family.  It was probably badly affected by flooding from the sea and was abandoned in the 16/17th century.  
The Workhouse See  West Hall Manor Cottages below  
Twaite's Corner The corner of Post Office Road and Lynn Road now occupied by Chambers Court  
un-named with builder's plaque 62. 64 and 66 Manor Road. A builder's plaque states "J.A, AD1877"  
Wern Cottages Built in 1877, situated on the junction of Post Office Road and Lynn Road and currently housing the Parish Council Office.  
West Hall Manor Cottages Former Workhouse, Grade II Listed 8 October 1984.  This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
"2 cottages, a former Manor House. Mid-C17. Rubble carstone, brick dressings, red pantiled roofs. 2 storey with attics. Of 2 builds, with straight joint and roof parapet marking division. Possibly the Manor House of West Hall Manor, later a workhouse and now cottages. No. 5(C) has 6 ground-floor casements with glazing bars: to south one 2-light fire window and one 4-light window, to north 2 2-light and one single light casements. 4 first floor casements with glazing bars. C20 ground floor porch additions. Steeply pitched roof with swept eaves and 4 C20 2-light flat roofed casements. Raised brick north and south end gable parapets, at south with stack. No. 5(E) to north has one ground floor single light and one 3-light casement, 2 first floor 2-light casements. No. 5(C) at rear has first floor addition with brick Dutch gable c.1700, with rebuilt apex stack suggesting a still socially prestigious use for the house at that date. Interior has stopped and chamfered ground floor beams, and a butt-purlin roof with some wind-bracing." [See W.P. Tippen A Short History of St. Nicholas Church, Dersingham pp 8-9}.
MAP