Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
Kelly's Directory 1888
Transcription by Mike Strange ©

DERSINGHAM is a village and parish situated half a mile from the station on the Lynn and Hunstanton Railway 8½ miles north-north-east from Lynn and 107 from London, in the North-Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the Lynn and Hunstanton road. The church of St. Nicholas is a large ancient structure of flint and stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave (with clerestory), aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with four carved angels in place of pinnacles and containing 6 bells : the chancel is lit by fine windows of the Decorated period and is divided from the nave by an old carved oak screen, some of the tracery of which has been restored : in the south aisle is a curious stone tomb with a brass to John Pell esq. and Margaret (Overend) his wife, ob. 5 Feb. 1607: there are also several ancient and curious marble slabs, and an ancient font with carved oak cover : the church was thoroughly restored between 1877 and 1879 at a cost of £5000; the cost of the restoration of the nave being defrayed by the patron, Dr Bellamy, and that of the chancel by the ecclesiastical Commissioners, and by the sum of £500 raised by subscription : the building was entirely reseated with open pews of wainscot, and a new pulpit and brass lectern erected : there are 600 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1710. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charge £216, net yearly value about £300, including 160 acres of glebe, with residence in the gift of the Rev· James Bellamy D.D., President of St John's College, Oxford, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Edward William Penny, M.A..  of St John's College, Oxford. The rectory house, completed in 1877, is built of carr stone and red bricks, and stands on a pleasant elevation. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1851, and a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1878. At the enclosure of the common, 75 acres of land were reserved for the benefit of the poor. There is a charity of about £21 annual value, arising from nine acres of land, left by Mrs. Pell, and £5 from land at Snettisham, left by a Mr. Bummer in 1732, these amounts are expended in coals, which are distributed to the poor of the parish. The Old Hall situated in the centre of the village, is a large plain building of carr stone, stuccoed and now in the residence of Mrs. Cox : here are five manors, viz., Hunstanton-with-Mustrels, Ringstead-with-Holme and Northall, Holme -next-the-Sea, and Hoods-in-Holme [sic, see below], of which H. R. H. The Prince of Wales and the Rev. James Bellamy D.D. are lords, and they and Mrs. Cox are the principal landowners. The soil is light mixed : subsoil, principally chalk and carr stone. The crops are generally on the four-course system. The area is 3,472 acres, rateable value £5,258; and the population in 1881 was 1014.

[Error above - The manors shown above belong to parish of Holme-next-the-Sea . This should read The parish  comprises five manors, viz., Pakenham, Shouldham Priory, West Hall and Brook Hall and Gelham Hall.]
Parish Clerk, James March Batterby.

POST,  MONEY ORDER AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank. - Enoch Beckett, postmaster. London & other letters are received through Lynn by mail cart; arrive at 5.30 a.m. delivered at 7 a.m. & 1.0 p.m. to callers, and are dispatched 2 p.m. & 6.20 p.m. There is also a WALL BOX near the Feathers Hotel, cleared at 6.5  p.m. on week days only : & a WALL BOX at the Station cleared at 5.45 on week days only

INSURANCE AGENT - Atlas, A. Boothby

Church of England Schools (mixed), enlarged in 1875. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales gave the site, the cost of the building being defrayed by Dr. Bellamy; the schools will hold 200 children : average attendance 164 : Alfred Firth, schoolmaster : Miss Firth, infants' mistress.

Railway Station, John Hall, station master

CARRIERS TO LYNN -  William Flegg, tues. thurs. & sat,  returning same day; John Smith passes through the village to Lynn every tues. thurs. & sat. & to Hunstanton & Old Hunstanton every mon. wed. & Friday

Chambers William
Clements William, The Oaks
Clements William Samuel
Coe Mrs. Rose cottage
Cox John, Dersingham Hall
Cox Mrs. Dersingham Hall
Cross Arthur Henry
Culyer Robert
Frost Mrs
Green Uriah
Heinemann Charles William
Penny Rev. Edward William, M.A. [vicar]
Reynolds Misses
Riches Mrs
Ringe Miss
Stanton Richard, Ling house
Thwaites Samuel
Tingey Edward, Manor House
Wolsey Frederick, Hill House

Asker John, broker
Balding Robert, farmer
Balding Robert, jun. grocer & draper
Balding Thomas cattle dealer
Beckett Enoch, postmaster
Bird Frederick, butcher
Boothby Alfred, farmer, coal merchant & assistant overseer
Bunn James, coal agent
Bussey Matilda & Maria (Misses), frmrs
Chambers George, bricklayer
Chambers Henry, carpenter
Coller R. & Sons, corn & coal merchants
       (James Bunn, agent)
Copeland Joseph, groom to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales
Cross Arthur Hy. professor of music
Daniel James, fisherman
Daniel William, fisherman
Davis Abraham, carrier to Lynn
Daw Robert, jobbing gardener
Dodman William, blacksmith
Dowdy Charles, bricklayer
Fitt Matthew, farmer, baker & corn miller (wind), Dersingham mill
Flegg Charlotte Mary (Miss) fancy wrkr
Flegg Joseph, carpenter & wheelwright
Flegg Robert, broker & carrier
Goodings Harriet (Mrs.) lodging house
Green Alfred James, temperance hotel & coal merchant
Heinemann Charles William M.R.C.V.S. London appointed by examination assistant veterinary inspector of the Smithfield Clu Cattle Show and holder of the Royal Agricultural Societies medal for premier examination on special diseases of the farm.
Jackson James, farmer
Jannoch Theodor, lily nurseryman, lily of the valley grower by special warrant to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales : choice bouquets, wreathes, crosses &c. The largest growers of lilies of the valley in England.
Jarvis James William, baker
Kiddle & Hudson (George & William), builders & contractors, carpenters & wheelwrights & general agricultural implement makers & repairers
Kiddle George, carpenter
Lynes Frederick, jobbing gardener
Mann Henry, farmer
Mann William Henry, postmaster at Sandringham House
Mitchell Edward, wood hurdle maker
Mitchell Henry, wood hurdle maker
Parker John William & Son, drapers & grocers & boot & shoe warehouse
Potter William, smith
Rainbow Joseph George, upholsterer
Ralph Frederick, usher, Victoria cottage
Rands Francis, butcher
Reynolds Daniel, shopkeeper
Riches James, wheelwright
Rolfe Frank Hanslip, shopkeeper
Senter Hannah (Mrs'), milliner
Senter Martin, shopkeeper
Sharman Elisha, carpenter
Smith John, carrier
Smith John, Dun Cow PH
Smith William Hy, White Horse hotel, & farmer : good accommodation for visitors
Spence George, brickmaker
Stanton Richard, farmer, Ling house
Taylor Enoch, Feathers hotel & posting house, good stabling for hunters & first class accommodation for visitors in the neighbourhood. Waggonettes to Sandringham every wed. & fri.
Taylor Thomas, Coach & Horses P.H.
Terrington Frederick, butcher
Terrington Henry, shoe maker
Terrington John, boot maker
Tingey Edward, farmer
Walden William, builder
Warner Thomas, Alexandra P.H.
Wright Thomas, beer retailer
Wyer John, shopkeeper & baker