The Albert Victor was the Public House that stood in Manor Road next to Westhall Manor. It ceased trading and is now a private house. Albert-Victor was the elder brother of Prince George (later George V) and known as Prince Eddy. He was in direct line of succession to the throne after his father but he caught influenza at Sandringham shortly after his engagement to Princess May of Teck. Pneumonia set in and he died on 14th January 1892, just after his twenty-eighth birthday.
Despite it having been named by the 1871 census the 'Albert Victor' does not appear in the trade directories until the 1930s. In 1874 Charles Dye is listed as a beer retailer. In 1883 Edward Melton has that occupation and in 1890 there is the entry, Thomas Wright-Beerhouse Then Frederick Hartley is listed as a beer retailer from 1896 until 1916 when he appears as victualler of The White Horse and Percy Shepherd takes over as Beer retailer.ln 1925 Thomas Turner Drew is listed as a beer retailer and a Thomas Drew ran The Albert Victor for a number of years. In 1937 the pub is first mentioned by name in the trade directories with Albert Southgate as victualler; this ties in with the change from beer house to public house.
Note that in 1871 Prince Albert Victor was just 7 years old and was the year when John Neale Dalton was appointed to be his tutor.
05 Mar 1937 The Advertiser
Transfer of wines and spirits licence from the "Alexandra" to the "Albert Vistor"
DERSINGHAM LICENCE GRANTED.
Application was made for the removal of the licence of the "Alexandra" public-house, Dersingham to the "Albert Victor' beer-house, Dersingham
Mr. Edmund Reeve (Messrs. Mills and Reeve, Norwich) made the application on behalf of Albert Edward Southgate, licensee of the "Albert Victor" beerhouse and Morgans Brewery Co. Ltd.
Mr. Reeve said that if the magistrates agreed to the removal the "Alexandra" would cease to be a licensed house, and consequently there would be one less licence in Dersingham. No objection had been made to the application. Mr. Reeve said that Mr. Southgate, who had been the licensee of the "Albert Victor" for the past two years, was for many years, employed in the stables on the Sandringham Estate.
Robert Thompson, of 44, Angel Road, Norwich gave evidence of sending notifications to the parties concerned .
Albert Edward Southgate, of the "Albert Victor" beer-house, Dersingham, stated that during the summer a large number of tourists visiting Sandringham Estate stopped at the house and witness had had a considerable number of applications for wines and spirits. When Royalty were in residence at Sandringtuun some of the servants came to his house and had asked for wnes and spirits.
Mr. Southgate produced a petition signed by sixty-two persons, 33 of whom were Dersingham residents, in favour of the transfer.
Bertram Maraland of Bridge House, Lynn, manager for Morgans Brewery, the owners of Elijah Eyre's Brewery Ltd. and he knew many residents in Lynn who had frequently called at the "Albert Victor" and who had complained to him that they were unable to get wines and spirits there. One large smokeroom in the "Albert Victor" was capable of holding 80 persons.
Mr. Reeve intimated that Messrs Elijah Eyres, were technically the owners of the property.
A provisional order was granted.