Craven & Co.'s Commercial Directory of Norfolk, 1856
Transcription by Mike Strange ©
DERSINGHAM is a large village and parish, in the hundred of Freebridge Lynn, 9 miles north-north-east of Lynn; containing, by the last census, 812 souls. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a square tower and six bells. At. the enclosure in 1779, 160 acres were allotted in lien of vicarial tithes, and 457 acres were enclosed within a ring fence, for the use of the parish. The vicarage, valued in 1831 at £151, is in the gift of J. Bellamy, Esq. and enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Bellamy, M.A. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. Area, 1900 acres, of which 1500 are in Wolverton, and the rest in Sandringham, West Newton, and Dersingham.
Carrier Dersingham - Davis Abraham, Bushel, tues and sat, 2½ pm
Bellamy Rev. Ed., M.A., vicar of Dersingham [living in Ingoldisthorpe]
Sandringham - Kent Charles, parish clerk Letters received through Dersingham St. Mary Magdalen' Church.
Brett Edward, Esq.
Brett Mrs. Mary
Stanton Mrs. Sarah
Balding Thomas, farmer
Boothby Emanuel, farmer
Chadwick George, farmer
Chapman Mary, farmer
Davis Abraham, carrier
Fitt James, corn miller
Flegg John, wheelwright
Freeman Joshua, farmer
Frost John and James, blacksmiths
Gamble John, shoemaker
Hotching William, victualler, "Coach and Horses"
Jackson James, gardener
Lines John, parish clerk
Petrie Archibald, victualler, '' Cock" inn
Pickerill Thomas, joiner
Reynolds Charles, shopkeeper
Riches John, farmer
Scott Joseph, farmer
Spenton Mary, farmer
Stanton Richard, jun., farmer, Ling house
Terrington John, shopkeeper
Townshend John, farmer
Twaites Samuel, baker and shopkeeper
Waters John, victualler, "Dun Cow"
Watson Robert, shoemaker
Letters arrive from Lynn 6.45 am, depart 5.30 pm
Places of Worship
St. Nicholas's Church - Bellamy Rev. Edward, M.A., vicar. Service, 11 a m, and 3 p m
Primitive Methodist Chapel - Circuit preachers. Service, 13.30 a m, and 2.30 and 6.30pm
Lynn - Davis Abraham, tues and sat