Copyright © 2017
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
Places in Dersingham
This page will deal with locations in the village
Here is Twaite's corner about 1930 on the junction of Post Office Road and Lynn Road named after the owner of the garage here which burnt down in 1947 but got up and running again until at least 1968. John Thomas Twaite is in the 1925 directory as Motor Engineer and at least until 1935. From at least the 1911 census to the 1922 directory he was a cycle agent. In 1911 John, from Bawsey, was living at at Sunnyside Villa (on Lynn Road approximately where the car on the right is in this photograph) with his wife Annie and son Jack one year old. See information about the name TWAITE.
Noted that one Samuel Twaite was shown in the 1845 directory as a baker and flour dealer in Dersingham and there was a baker's shop next to the garage.
Listed Buildings and Scheduled Ancient Monuments
Considering the antiquity of the village there are very few buildings that have been listed by English Heritage; all are Grade 2 except for the Church which is Grade 1. The numbers relate to West Norfolk's database entries for the district and can be seen in this document as seen last dated May 2016
| Saint Nicholas Church
| Cross base 30m south of the Church
| 5c West Hall Manor Cottages
| 5e West Hall Manor Cottages
| Tithe Barn (also a Scheduled Ancient Monument)
|| 926 and SAM 00032
| Garden Wall attached to and south of Dersingham Hall
| Dersingham Hall
| Moated site and associated earthworks 200m south west of Saint Nicholas church
Roads of Dersingham
Here we examine the names of all the roads of the village today and their origins.
Properties and Places
An index of all the buildings and locations that are not roads with an understanding of their origins and locations.