The property was part of the assets owned by Elizabeth Rouse. She was born in 1777 the daughter of Robert Goulty, (Golty) in Dersingham in 1750. He was a substantial member of the community owning much property here. His name is mentioned frequently in the distribution of land after the Acts of Enclosure. His father, Elizabeth’s grandfather, also Robert Goulty was born in 1687 in Elsing but married and settled here. He was a prominent church member, a church warden, who died in 1752. His tombstone can be found at the back of the church hidden under carpets.
Elizabeth married Peter Rouse in 1807 and subsequently left the village. Peter’s father, Richard, was the Miller at Letheringsett Mill. Elizabeth inherited her property when her father died in 1828; she died in 1862 and was buried in Holt.
The only definite information about who lived here is David Robinson who occupied one of the cottages that make up the present home just before 1839; he remained in the village until at least 1871. He died in 1873 and was buried here on 5th September.
The family recorded immediately before David’s in the 1841 census is one Sam Skinner (c70) , carpenter and his wife Ann (c69). The census entry after David's is at Stanton's, Ling farm at the top of Ling House Road. As enumerators did not always record in a sequentially the connection cannot be guaranteed. However, it is very possible that David and Sam were immediate neighbours in one of the cottages now number 55.
Ten years later, in the 1851 Census, Samuel is aged 82, a Widow and a pauper. However, he is still head of a household with a son and daughter and their children living with him. We will continue to look to see if we can identify any other occupants at later dates.
A page about the Robinson family, and perhaps another for the Skinners, will appear on this web site in due course.