DERSINGHAM HISTORY
Copyright © 2017
Dersingham Folk
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
1937 Directory of Dersingham (Kellys - Norfolk)
Transcription by Mike Strange ©
DERSINGHAM is a village and parish on the Lynn and Hunstanton road, half a mile from the station on the Lynn and Hunstanton section of the Great Eastern railway, 8½ miles north-north-east from Lynn and 107 from London, in the North Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and petty sessional division, Docking union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Rising, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas is a large and ancient structure of flint and stone chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with four carved angels in place of pinnacles, and containing 6 bells and a clock, erected at a cost of £160, to commemorate the coronation of His late Majesty King Edward VII. : the chancel is lighted by fine windows of the Decorated period, and is divided from the nave by an ancient carved oak screen, with twelve panels, six of which display painted figures, and some of the tracery has been restored : in the south aisle is a piscina and in the chancel an altar-tomb to John Pell esq. and Margaret (Overend) his wife, ob. 5 Feb. I607, with two effigies in marble: there are also several marble slabs and other memorials, mostly to the Pell and Kerrich families, including a brass in the north aisle to one of the former, dated 1636: and memorials to Mrs. Elizabeth Pell, lady of Booters Hall manor, Cranworth, d.1732: to the Rev. Thomas Kerrich, vicar of this parish, d.1828, and Sophia, his wife, d.1835; the oaken church chest is very finely carved and the ancient font has a carved oak cover: the church was thoroughly restored between 1877 and 1879 at a cost of nearly £6,000; the cost of the restoration of the nave being defrayed by the late Dr. Bellamy, and that of the chancel by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and by a sum of £600 raised by subscription: the building was entirely reseated with open pews of wainscot, and a new pulpit and brass lectern provided : a new organ chamber and clergy vestry was erected on the north side of the chancel in 1911, and the south aisle and side chapel have been restored : there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1927 by the Rev. Robert Lewis Baillie Oliver M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The vicarage house, erected in I877 is of carr stone and red brick and stands on a pleasant elevation. There is a Methodist chapel built in 1878 [?]. The Foresters' Hall (Court Motteux, No. 1465), erected on a site given by H.M. King Edward VII. in 1893 and opened by H.M. King George V. (then Prince of Wales), Dec. 11th, 1893. is a building of carr stone with Bath stone dressings; it is also used for entertainments &c. : a court is held monthly. The Church Institute was erected in 1912. In 1929 a Territorial hall was erected at a cost of £5,000. At the enclosure of the common 75 acres of land were reserved for the benefit of the poor. There is a charity of about £21 annual value, arising from nine acres of land left by Mrs. Pell, and £5 from land at Snettisham, left by a Mr. Bummer in 1732; these amounts are expended in coals, which are distributed to the poor of the parish. Dersingham Hall, in the centre of the village, is a large and plain building of carr stone, stuccoed, and is the property of the trustees of the late Mrs Theodor Jannoch. The Mill House, a building of brick and carr stone, erected in the 17th century and enlarged in 1909, the interior being decorated with oak panels, is in the residence of Beris Harcourt-Wood esq. The parish comprises five manors, viz., Pakenham, Shouldham Priory, West Hall and Brook Hall and Gelham Hall. His Majesty the King is the principal land-owner. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, principally chalk and carr stone. The crops are generally on the four-course system. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and sugar beet. The area is 3,573 acres of land and 8 of water ; the population in 1931 was 1,528.

Post, M. 0., T. & T.E.D. Office. Letters through Lynn.
Police Station, Manor Road
Railway Station (L. & N.E.)
Carriers to Lynn. - John Edward Wyer & Albert Ding, tues. thurs. & sat. returning same day
There is a motor omnibus service to King's Lynn & Hunstanton

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
(for T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book) [not transcribed]

Batterham John, Summerdale
Beck Miss, The Hill top
Beck Mrs Frank, The Shieling
Chambers James, Lynn road
Corkran Christian, Winkfield cottage
Corkran Mrs. Seymour, Winkfield cottage
Coxon Capt. A. Cedric M. Highlands
Faster [? damaged] Walter H., Lynncroft
Hammond Mrs, Hillside
Harcourt-Wood Beris, Mill house
Jackson Frederick Arthur Caunter, The Mead
Kelley [? damaged] John Thomas, Woodside avenue
Knight Mrs. The Haven
Mann Mrs, Heath House
Mapus-Smith Arthur, Worthams, Station road
Martin Capt. Reginald Hall, Wood cottage
Matthews Miss, Vicarage cottage
Munro Alexander Hugh, Holkham house
Murray Henry Dunkeld, Station road
Oliver Rev. Robert Lewis Baillie (vicar), The Vicarage
Pain Percy, Heath road
Palmer Mrs Oxley, The Retreat
Parker Edward F. Manor road
Pratt Wilfrid Lloyd, The Oaks
Reynolds John Charles, Rosenheath
Seale Walter, Newera Eliya
Smith William Henry, Hill house
Spaxman Capt Oliver Thomas, Mere house
Spence Miss, Mpofna
Stanton Miss, Greenways
Stanton Richard Hugh, Manor house
Sutterby Mrs, The Old House
Sweetenham Miss, Mansfield house
Tansley William, Ben Douran, Park Hill
Taylor Ernest Claude, Braeside
Tomlinson Miss, Hillside
Wheeler Elton E. O. Park View
Willett Edward Vernon Anson, The Erf
Wright Charles Ernest W., Beech cottage
Youngman Mrs, The White house
Youngs Charles J. J.P., Rose lodge

COMMERCIAL
Early closing day, Wednesday
Marked thus * farm over 150 acres

Albert Victor P.H. (Albert E. Southgate)
Andrews Daniel, greengrocer
Athow [? damaged] Charles Henry, newsagent, Chapel road
Balding Frederick, smallholder
Balding James, smallholder
Barclays Bank Ltd (sub-branch) (open thurs. 11am to 2pm); head office 54 Lombard st, London EC3
Bird F.A. & S.E., butchers
Bird William, coal dealer, Snettisham road
British Legion (A.J. Nurse, hon sec) Church terrace
Bunn Alfred, hire cars, Station road
Chambers G. & Sons. builders
Chambers Jabez (clerk to the Charity Trustees) Melrose
Chester Henry, White Horse P.H.
Church Hall (A.J. Mason-Jones, sec)
Coach & Horses Bowling Club
Coach & Horses Hotel (William Thomas Owen)
County Library (Elton E.O. Wheeler, librarian)
Cricket Club (Ernest Drayton, sec)
Cross Herbert, greengrocer, Lynn road
Dersingham Football Club (Henry Chester, hon. sec.)
Dersingham Tennis Club (A.W. Houchen, hon. sec.), Chapel road
Dew Mabel (Mrs), fried fish dealer, Manor road
Ding Albert, carrier
Drew Doris Ruth (Miss), confectioner, Lynn road
Drew Thomas Turner, builder, Lynn road
Ducker Albert C., builder, Gimbers
Dun Cow P.H. (John Brett Billing), Lynn road
Earle Joyce (Miss), district nurse, Fern hill
East Anglian Electric Supply Co. (J.W. Parker & Son agents) TN 4
Ewer William John & Son, newsagents
Feathers Hotel (the Peoples' Refreshment House Association Ltd) T N Dersingham 7
Fitt Frederick Charles, baker
Foresters' Hall (Court Motteux, No 1465) (J. Chambers, sec)
Garside Albert, tea rooms, Snettisham road
Hall Charles, boot repairer
Higgs Alfred, breeder, trainer & boarding kennels; late head kennel man to His late Majesty King George V, The Park
Houchen Reginald & Thomas, motor car for hire, Lynn road
Houchen Charles H. fried fish dealer
Houchen Frederick George, butcher, TN 56
Hough H.S. (Miss), private girls' school. Wells-will  TN 41
Howell D.G., beekeepers agent
Hyner (Eric) & Co Ltd motor engineers. The Sandringham garage TN 10
Institute Bowling Club, (Elton E.O. Wheeler, hon. sec.)
Jackson Frederick Arthur Caunter, solicitor (firm Jackson & Jackson), The Mead TN Dersingham 253
Jackson James, farmer Centre vale
Jolley Philip Geoffrey Edward M.B.,  Ch.B.Glas. (attends mon. wed. & fri.) Lynn road
King George W. hair dresser
Laws James, insurance agent, Glebe road
Life Wood Filling Station (R.L. Freeman Taylor, proprietor), Lynn road TN 21
Lincoln Walter & Walter George, dairymen, cowkeepers & farmers, Glebe dairy, Station road
Lines William Herbert, butcher TN 6
Linford Roland, grocer, Lynn road TN 43
Mason-Jones A. Jn, clerk to the Parish Council, 1 Hawthorne cottages
Munro Alexander H. F.L.A.S. Land agent & surveyor & income tax consultant & insurance agent Bank chambers TN 12
Neave Agnes (Mrs), shopkeeper
Norfolk Regiment (5th Batt.) (Territorial Army) D Co Drill hall
Nurse W & H, coal dealers
Oddfellows (Manchester Unity) (Loyal Dersingham Lodge) (George E. Wells, sec.)
Parker J. W. & Son, grocers, drapers, boot & shoe warehouse & hardware dealers & electrical dealers  TN 4
Playford Charles, baker TN 34
Playford Herbert, insurance agent, Staithe house, Lynn road
Rayner Charles L., insurance agent, Manor road
Rayner Violet May (Mrs) tobacconist, Snettisham road
Reynolds Henry O'Dell, hair dresser
Reynolds John Charles, nurseryman & florist, Roseneath TN 32
Rice Leonard S., grocer, Chapel road TN 25
Riches Ernest James, boot repairer
Rowe J. Ayers (Mrs.) state registered nurse and certified midwife, Grindelwald
Senter Walter, cycle agent
* Smith William Henry farmer, Hill House farm TN 42
Standaloft Dixon (Mrs) boarding house, The Willows
Stanton Ellen Maud (Miss) district nurse, Greenways
* Stanton Richard Ralph, farmer, Manor House TN 28
Taylor Ernest Claude, clerk to the Parish Council of Castle Rising, Braeside
Terrington D. & M., butchers
Terrington Reginald, grocer TN 31
Tuck Archibald Leslie, nurseryman
Twaite John Thomas, motor engineers, The Garage TN 13
Unionist Association (C. Corkran hon sec) Winkfield cottage
Wagg Frederick Albert, newsagent, cycle & wireless dealer, Lynn road
Walden Robert J., smith, Station road
Walden William, builder, Chapel road
White Horse Inn (Henry Chester)
White Horse Inn  Bowling Club
Willans Sir Frederick Jeune K.C.V.O., M.R.C.S.Eng, L.R.C.P.Lond. physician & surgeon; branch surgery, Sandringham Road
Women's Institute (Mrs F. Beck, president)
Women's Unionist Association (Mrs. L. Sutterby, hon sec), The Old house
Working Men's Bowling Club
Working Men's Club
Wyer John Edward, carrier