Copyright © 2017
All Rights reserved
Site by Mike Strange
Snaring Manor Hall
Elizabeth Fiddick ©
Snaring Hall was a small lordship in the village which had been held by the Conqueror's nephew Peter de Valognes. In the reign of Henry II it was held by Jeffrey de Snaring and under Henry III Philip de Snaring was Lord. It is thought that the family took their name from the village of Snoring near Fakenham.
At some time a small Manor House was built on the hill where the old vicarage now stands. The remains of the moat that once surrounded it could at one time still be seen in the vicarage gardens and the field next to it. The Cobbe's of Sandringham acquired it and William Cobbe sold it to John Pell of Oldhall Manor in 1653. The Hoste's of Ingoldisthorpe eventually owned it.
On the Tithe map the area where the house stood is called Snoring Field Close and was farmed by Joshua Freeman of Church Farm. Robert Claxton and John Chapman farmed other land in the area. The old vicarage was built there in 1877. Tradition states that the last owner of the Hall drove about the village in a coach with four black horses.